Providence, RI -- Freshman right fielder Erica Fluskey (Trumbull, CT) went 2-for-5 with two runs scored and an RBI as the Rhode Island College softball team was swept at Western Connecticut in a Little East Conference doubleheader on Tuesday evening. Western Connecticut took the opener, 4-0, and finished the sweep with a 6-5 victory in the nightcap.
Game One: Western Connecticut 4, Rhode Island College 0
Game Two: Western Connecticut 6, Rhode Island College 5
Western Connecticut (14-21-1, 7-5 LEC)
Rhode Island College (7-19, 1-11 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
• In the opener, Western Connecticut would score the only run it would need in the bottom of the first on an RBI groundout from sophomore left fielder Erica Bower (Hillsboro, NJ).
• The host Colonials tacked on three more in the bottom of the sixth, highlighted by a two-run single from sophomore shortstop Charline Plasczynski (Bristol, CT), to take the 4-0 victory.
• Junior pitcher Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) suffered the loss in the pitching circle for RIC, allowing four runs (two earned) on five hits with six strikeouts in six innings.
• Sophomore Angelina Miller (Holbrook, NY) picked up the complete-game shutout for WCSU, allowing just two hits with 10 strikeouts in seven innings of work.
• Plasczynski went 2-for-3 with one run scored and two RBI in the victory for the Colonials.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
• RIC posted the early 2-0 lead after two runs scored on a groundout from Gough.
• After Western Connecticut tied the game, 2-2, in the bottom of the fourth, RIC grabbed the lead in the top of the fifth when they pushed across three runs, paced by an RBI single from Fluskey for the 5-2 advantage.
• WCSU scored one in the bottom of the fifth and three in the bottom of the seventh to walk-off with the 6-5 victory.
• Gough had the loss for RIC, giving up three unearned runs on four hits with four strikeouts in 2.1 innings of relief.
• Miller recorded the win in relief for Western Connecticut, throwing two scoreless innings of relief with a pair of strikeouts.
• Fluskey went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI, while senior shortstop Nicole Venturini (North Scituate, MA) was 2-for-3 with a run scored in the loss for the Anchorwomen.
• Senior Kayla Nowak (North Branford, CT) was 3-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI in the win for the Colonials.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Pine Manor on Friday, April 27 (4 p.m.).