Worcester, Mass.—Junior outfielder/catcher Emma Simmons (Saunderstown, RI) went 5-for-6 with three runs scored and an RBI as the Rhode Island College softball team was swept by Worcester State in a non-conference doubleheader on the road on Thursday evening. Worcester State posted an 8-7 win in the opener and completed the sweep with a 9-5 win in the nightcap.
Game One: Worcester State 8, Rhode Island College 7
Game Two: Worcester State 9, Rhode Island College 5
Worcester State (9-8)
Rhode Island College (6-10)
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
• RIC posted an early, 1-0, lead after a solo home run from senior shortstop Nicole Venturini (North Scituate, RI) in the top of the first.
• After Worcester State tied the game, 1-1, in the bottom of the first, the visiting Anchorwomen took the lead once again in the top of the second as they scored two runs on an RBI double from junior third baseman Cristin Chiaverini (Pawtucket, RI) and an RBI from sophomore outfielder Shaelyn DaSilveira (Seekonk, MA) for the 3-1 advantage.
• Rhode Island built on their lead in the fifth and sixth as they plated two runs in each inning for a 7-1 lead. Junior Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) and senior Kelsey Wood (North Dighton, MA) drove in the runs in the fifth, while an RBI from Simmons and a Worcester State error put two across in in the sixth.
• Worcester State responded in the bottom of the sixth when they tallied seven runs, which included a two-run double from senior Sydney Despres (Sterling, MA), to take the 8-7 victory.
• Simmons was 3-for-3 with a run scored and a pair of stolen bases, while Venturini was 2-for-2 with a pair of runs scored and an RBI in the setback.
• Gough suffered the loss for RIC, allowing three unearned runs on two hits in one inning of relief.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
• Worcester State jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first.
• Rhode Island College responded in the top of the third on an RBI single from Simmons and a two-run single from Wood for a 3-2 advantage.
• The Lancers answered with four runs on four hits in the bottom of the third, including a three-run home run from Kaci Panarelli (Shrewsbury, MA) for the 6-3 lead.
• The Anchorwomen cut the lead down to 6-5 in the top of the fifth on a two-run single from Wood.
• That would be as close as RIC would get as a two-run home run from Katie Polselli (Charlton, MA) made the score 8-5 in the bottom of the fifth and an insurance run in the bottom of sixth propelled the Lancers to the 9-5 victory.
• Wood was 2-for-3 with four RBI, while Gough suffered her second loss of the day in the pitching circle, allowing six runs on six hits in 2.1 innings of work.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East Conference action at home against Southern Maine on Saturday, April 14 (1 p.m.).