Providence, R.I.—Eastern Connecticut sophomore second baseman Jackie Lewis (Mystic, CT) went 5-for-7 with two runs scored, two doubles, four RBI and two steals as the Warriors swept a doubleheader from RIC (9-0, 11-1) in Little East Conference action played at the Dayna A. Bazar Softball Complex on Saturday afternoon.
Game One: Eastern Connecticut 9, Rhode Island College 0
Game Two: Eastern Connecticut 11, Rhode Island College 1 (five innings)
Eastern Connecticut (6-11, 3-1 LEC)
Rhode Island College (4-8, 0-4 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
• The Warriors scored twice in the top of the first, highlighted by freshman right fielder Alexis Tyrell's (Torrington, CT) RBI single and sophomore shortstop Sara Pisanelli's (Wallingford, CT) sacrifice fly.
• Freshman pitcher Morgan Bolduk (Vernon, CT) homered and Lewis knocked in one with an RBI single in the third. Bolduk picked up an RBI on a ground out in the fourth to stake the Warriors to a 5-0 lead.
• The Warriors broke the game open with a four-run seventh, highlighted by a Pisanelli three-run blast.
• Bolduk was 3-for-4 with three runs scored and a pair of RBI, while hurling a complete game two-hitter with 10 strikeouts to pick up the win (4-4). RIC junior Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) took the loss (2-3).
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
• Eastern Connecticut buried the Anchorwomen with five runs each in the first and second to go up 10-0. Sophomore designated hitter Hayleigh Cardello (Litchfield, CT) dealt a big blow with a three-run blast in the first. Sophomore third baseman Crysta Wolksi (West Hartford, CT) doubled in a pair in the second.
• Senior catcher Chelsea Schott (Meriden, CT) led off with a walk and later scored on a double play ground out as RIC got on the board in the second. Junior left fielder Calli Duthrie (Griswold, CT) got the run back in the third with a leadoff triple and trotted home on a throwing error.
• ECSU sophomore pitcher Jacky Arndt (Chelmsford, MA) picked up the win (2-1) with a one-hit, nine strikeout performance. RIC junior pitcher Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA) took the loss (2-5).
• Cardello went 2-for-3 with four RBI and two runs scored in the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Pisanelli went 3-for-7 with three runs scored and five RBI in the twinbill. Bolduk went 4-for-7 with four runs scored, a double, triple, homer and two RBI.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Roger Williams on Tuesday, April 10 (4 p.m.).