Providence, R.I.--Senior Chandler Scott (Ashaway, RI) notched a pair of victories, including the match-clinching win at No. 2 singles, to lead the Rhode Island College men's tennis team to an impressive, 9-0, victory against MCLA in a non-conference contest played at the RIC Tennis Center on Monday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 9, MCLA 0
Rhode Island College (5-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC took the first point of the match at No. 1 doubles where sophomore Alex Bourque (North Smithfield, RI) and senior Alan Esposito (Clinton, CT) posted an 8-1 win over senior Matt Bluteau (Troy, NY) and sophomore Charles Najimy (Savoy, NY).
• The Anchormen made it 2-0 as Scott and sophomore Mike Shea (Smithfield, RI) combined for an 8-1 win over seniors Samantha Gawron (South Hadley, MA) and Nick Castle (Waterford, NY).
• RIC senior Matthew Gambardella (West Warwick, RI) and sophomore Ethan Hoy (West Warwick, RI) recorded an 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles against the MCLA team of junior Briana Higgins (Tewksbury, MA) and sophomore McKenna Jordan (Lebanon, CT) to make the score 3-0 heading into singles play.
• Esposito had a (6-2, 6-2) win over Mohamed Mahrous (Boston, MA) at No. 6 singles to put the Anchormen up 4-0.
• Scott then clinched the contest for RIC with a straight set shutout (6-0, 6-0) win over Caste at the No. 2 spot to make the score 5-0.
• Shea posted a (6-1, 6-0) victory over Bluteau at No. 4, while freshman Joshua Litmanovich (Providence, RI) registered a (6-0, 6-0) win against Higgins to increase RIC's lead to 7-0.
• Bourque defeated junior Felix Bou (Boston, MA) at No. 1 singles, while Gambardella notched a (6-3, 6-1) win over Najimy, to seal the shutout for the Anchormen.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East play at Southern Maine on Saturday, April 6 (1 p.m.).