Providence, R.I.--The Rhode Island College men's tennis team posted a commanding, 9-0, victory against Lesley in a non-conference contest played at the RIC Tennis Center on Monday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 9, Lesley 0
Rhode Island College (4-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore Alex Bourque (North Smithfield, RI) and senior Alan Esposito (Clinton, CT) posted an 8-2 win over the Lesley team of sophomore Will Sgro (North Haven, CT) and junior Gerry Chica (Wallingford, CT) at the No. 1 doubles spot, giving the Anchormen the 1-0 lead in the match.
• At No. 2 doubles, senior Chandler Scott (Ashaway, RI) and sophomore Mike Shea (Greenville, RI) posted an 8-2 win over senior Theresa Pereira (Hopedale, MA) and freshman Christian Fox (Old Saybrook, CT) to stake RIC to the 2-0 advantage.
• RIC senior Matthew Gambardella (West Warwick, RI) and sophomore Ethan Hoy (West Warwick, RI) finished off the clean sweep of doubles action as they posted an 8-3 win at No. 3 doubles against the Lesley pairing of juniors Patrick Corcoran (West Hartford, CT) and Evan Zona (Hingham, MA) to make the score 3-0 heading into singles play.
• Bourque posted a (6-4, 7-5) win at No. 1 singles against Sgro, while Scott had a (6-1, 6-2) win at No. 2 singles over Chica.
• Gambardella notched a (6-3, 6-3) victory at No. 3 singles against Corcoran, while Hoy recorded a (6-2, 6-0) win at No. 4 against at Pereira.
• Esposito had a (6-0, 6-2) win over Fox at No. 5 with Litmanovich taking a (6-0, 6-0) win against Zona at No. 6.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host MCLA on Tuesday, April 2 (3:30 p.m.).