Worcester, Mass.—The Rhode Island College men's tennis team suffered their first loss of the 2019 season in a 9-0 setback at Clark on Wednesday afternoon.
Clark 9, Rhode Island College 0
Rhode Island College (2-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Clark junior Jack Han (Bakersfield, CA) and senior Andrey Samodaev (Boca Raton, FL) defeated the RIC tandem of senior Alan Esposito (Clinton, CT) and sophomore Alex Bourque (North Smithfield, RI), 8-0, at No. 1 doubles.
• CU sophomore Chris Ruebens (Cheshire, CT) and freshman Max Schweitzer (West Hartford, CT) defeated RIC senior Chandler Scott (Ashaway, RI) and sophomore Mike Shea (Greenville, RI), 8-1, at No. 2 doubles.
• The Cougars completed the sweep as freshman Jacob Malicky (South Egremont, MA) and freshman Nathan Kapiloff defeated RIC senior Matt Gambardella (West Warwick, RI) and sophomore Ethan Hoy (West Warwick, RI), 8-3, at No. 3 doubles.
• In singles, Schweitzer bested Bourque, 8-1, at No. 1 singles. Ruebens defeated Scott, 8-0, at No. 2 singles.
• Samodaev won vs. Gambardella, 8-6, at No. 3 singles, while junior Alex Hattenbach (Wilton, CT) picked up an 8-3 victory against Hoy at No. 4 singles.
• Cougar senior Ivan Ley (Needham, MA) downed Shea, 8-3 at No. 5 singles, while sophomore Josh Podolsky (Sudbury, MA) defeated freshman Josh Limanovich (Providence, RI), 8-3, at No. 6 singles.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East play at Castleton on Saturday, March 30 (2 p.m.).