Providence, R.I.--Senior midfielder Dennis Vazquez (Providence, RI) had a team-best five shots as the Rhode Island College men's soccer team fell to UMass Boston, 2-0, in a Little East Conference contest played at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon.
UMass Boston 2, Rhode Island College 0
Rhode Island College (3-9-2, 1-5-1 LEC)
UMass Boston (7-9-2, 4-1-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Both teams struggled offensively in the first half with RIC holding a 3-1 advantage in shots for the stanza.
• UMass Boston got on the board just :47 into the second half when sophomore defender Mauricio Martinez (Cali, Colombia) played a through ball to freshman forward Riven Rodrigues (Brockton, MA) who then slid in a shot from five yards out to give the Beacons the 1-0 advantage.
• UMB added an insurance goal in the 83rd minute when freshman midfielder Geraldo Castaneda (Providence, RI) scored with an assist by freshman forward Jonathan Rodrigues (Brockton, MA) to propel the Beacons to the 2-0 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Sophomore goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) recorded three stops in the loss for the Anchormen.
• Junior goalkeeper Omar Castro-Dreher (Woonsocket, RI) notched two saves in the win for UMass Boston.
• RIC led in shots, 7-6, for the contest, while the Anchormen also had a 3-2 advantage in corner kicks for the game.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Johnson & Wales on Tuesday, Oct. 23 (4 p.m.).