Norton, Mass.—Rhode Island College senior midfielder Dennis Vazquez (Providence, RI) led the Anchormen with three shots as the men's soccer team was shut out by host Wheaton, 2-0, at Nordin Field on Sunday afternoon.
Wheaton 2, Rhode Island College 0
Rhode Island College (3-7-2)
• After a scoreless first half, which saw the Lyons outshoot the Anchormen 7-4, Wheaton finally broke through in the 57th minute. Building play through the midfield, the Lyons pushed the ball into the box, where a Rhode Island handball led to a penalty kick. Taking his fifth penalty kick of the season, senior midfielder Curran Wait (Scituate, MA) stepped up to the ball and calmly slipped it into the left side of the net. Wait has converted on each of his five penalty kick attempts this season.
• Vazquez tried to knot things up in the 61st minute, putting a shot on frame, just to have it saved by Wheaton keeper freshman goalkeeper Peter Pond (Providence, RI). Pond ended the day with five saves, earning his third win of the season and first collegiate shutout.
• Wheaton added an insurance goal in the 85th minute courtesy of excellent heads-up play by freshman midfielder Charlie Stringer (Medford, OR) and classmate defender Luca de Castro Novaes (Scarsdale, NY). A clear attempt by the Anchormen was intercepted by Stringer in the center of midfield. Taking a few touches, Stringer split two Rhode Island College defenders with a through ball to de Castro Novaes who took a settling touch before sending the ball and into the back of the net for his first goal of the season and career.
• Pond finished with five saves to earn the win. RIC sophomore goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) stopped seven in a losing effort.
• The Lyons outshot RIC, 17-14, and also held the advantage, 5-2, in corner kicks.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Connecticut College on Tuesday, Oct. 16 (3:30 p.m.).