Providence, R.I.--The Rhode Island College men's soccer team fell to Keene State, 3-0, in a Little East Conference contest played at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon.
Keene State 3, Rhode Island College 0
Keene State (6-3, 3-0 LEC)
Rhode Island College (3-4-1, 1-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Neither team could manage much offensively throughout most of the first half. The Anchormen's best scoring chance came in the 42nd minute when a free kick from senior midfielder Dennis Vazquez (Providence, RI) from 30 yards out was stopped by Keene State freshman goalkeeper Anthony Pasciuto (Abington, MA).
• Keene State would get on the board with just 1:12 left in the first half when sophomore midfielder Emmanuel Smith (Concord, NH) lofted a pass down the middle of the field on a breakaway to sophomore midfielder Connor Downey (West Islip, NY). Downey then beat RIC sophomore goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) one-on-one and slipped a shot into the right corner of the net to put the visiting Owls up, 1-0.
• Keene State took the 1-0 lead into halftime, outshooting RIC by a 7-5 margin.
• In the 71st minute, Downey started a play near the endline and sent the ball to senior defender Jacob Chiza (Manchester, NH). Chiza then sent a crossing pass to junior midfielder Donovan Harris (East Hartford, CT) who scored his first goal of the season to give the Owls the 2-0 advantage.
• Downey notched his second goal of the day in the 74th minute with an assist coming from sophomore defender Jack Herlihy (Swampscott, MA).
BY THE NUMBERS
• Tashjian notched five saves in the setback for the Anchormen.
• Pasciuto recorded three stops in the victory for Keene State.
• Keene State held a 13-8 advantage in shots and a 4-0 advantage in corner kicks.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East play at home against Plymouth State on Monday, Oct. 1 (4:30 p.m.).