Providence, R.I.--Senior midfielder Dennis Vazquez (Providence, RI) scored a pair of goals to lead the Rhode Island College men's soccer team to a 2-0 victory over Southern Maine in a Little East Conference contest played at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 2, Southern Maine 0
Southern Maine (1-4-1, 0-1 LEC)
Rhode Island College (2-2-1, 1-0 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC controlled the action offensively for most of the first half before finally cracking the scoreboard in the 34th minute. Sophomore midfielder Kossivi Dogbey (Providence, RI) took the ball at midfield and slid a pass to Vazquez for a breakaway. Vazquez, deked the goalkeeper then slid in a shot past a defender on the goal line into the lower right corner of the net to put the Anchormen up 1-0.
• RIC took the one-goal lead heading into halftime after outshooting Southern Maine by an 11-6 margin.
• Southern Maine's best opportunity came with just over 17 minutes remaining in the game when sophomore midfielder Benjamin Musese (Auburn, ME) launched a shot from 15 yards out that sailed wide of the RIC net.
• Vazquez then provided an insurance goal for the Anchormen when he converted a penalty kick with 4:43 left on the clock. After outworking two Southern Maine defenders along the sideline, Vazquez spun and broke into the box from the top right corner before he was knocked to the turf and awarded the pk.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Sophomore goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) recorded three stops in the victory (2-2-1) for the Anchormen.
• Senior goalkeeper Simon Hulbert (Bar Harbor, ME) notched two saves in the loss (0-2-1) for Southern Maine.
• RIC outshot Southern Maine, 16-10.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Dean on Wednesday, Sept. 19 (3:30 p.m.).