Providence, R.I. --Rhode Island College freshman forward Brandon Ramos (Boston, MA) scored his third goal in as many games as the men's soccer team battled Worcester State to a 1-1 double-overtime draw in a non-conference contest played at Alumni Field on Wednesday evening.
Worcester State 1, Rhode Island College 1 2OT
Worcester State (1-1-1)
Rhode Island College (1-1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Worcester State struck in the fifth minute when sophomore midfielder Luke Szostkiewick (Longmeadow, MA) fed a pass to junior forward Mitch Myrthil (Clinton, MA) who lofted in a shot into the back corner of the net from 20 yards out to give the visiting Lancers the 1-0 advantage.
• RIC knotted the game at the 16:38 mark when senior midfielder Dennis Vazquez (Providence, RI) fired a shot that hit off the post. Ramos was there to collect the rebound and buried his third goal of the season into the back of the net to tie the game at 1-1.
• Despite the 1-1 score at halftime, RIC controlled the action in the first half, outshooting Worcester State by a commanding, 14-4, margin.
• It was more of a defensive battle in the second half with RIC outshooting the visiting Lancers by a 6-5 margin. Both teams had solid scoring chances, but neither could convert as regulation ended in a 1-1 deadlock.
• The two teams then battled through two 10-minute overtime periods before settling for the tie.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Sophomore goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) had six stops for RIC, while junior netminder Henri Guilmette (Franklin, MA) tallied 10 saves for Worcester State.
• RIC had 22 shots in the game, while Worcester State notched 11 attempts.
• Worcester State held a 5-4 advantage in corner kicks for the game.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Bridgewater State on Wednesday, Sept. 12 (7 p.m.).