Providence, R.I.-Junior midfielder Dennis Vazquez (Providence, RI) scored on a penalty kick in the 65th minute as the Rhode Island College men's soccer team battled Johnson & Wales to a 1-1 double overtime tie on Tuesday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 1, Johnson & Wales 1 (2OT)
(Johnson & Wales, 14-1-2)
(Rhode Island College, 7-7-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The two teams battled back and forth throughout the first half with RIC outshooting JWU by a 4-3 margin. Neither team could capitalize, however, as the game headed in halftime in a scoreless tie.
• RIC got on the board in the 65th minute when senior forward Komla Dogbey (Providence, RI) was taken down in the box. Vazquez then converted the ensuing penalty kick to put the Anchormen up, 1-0. The goal was the sixth of the season for Vazquez.
• With just under four minutes left on the clock, RIC was whistled for a foul in the box. Junior midfielder Jozef Jennings (Barrington, RI) then scored on the penalty kick to knot the game at 1-1.
• Both teams had scoring chances down the stretch but neither could find the back of the net as regulation ended in the 1-1 tie.
• The two teams played through a pair of 10-minute overtime periods, again with each side having a solid scoring opportunity, before the game ended in a deadlock.
• Sophomore Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) (7-6-2) recorded four stops for RIC, while junior Austin Eugenio (New Bedford, MA) (1-0-1) had three saves for the hosts.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Johnson & Wales outshot RIC by a 14-13 margin, while the host Wildcats held a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks in the contest.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will close out the regular season with a Little East Conference game at Plymouth State on Saturday, Oct. 28 (1 p.m.).