Westfield, Mass.—Junior midfielder Dennis Vazquez (Providence, RI) fired a team-best three shots on goal, but couldn't connect as the Rhode Island College men's soccer team fell at Westfield State, 2-0, on Wednesday evening.
Westfield State 2, Rhode Island College 0
(Westfield State, 6-8)
(Rhode Island College, 6-7-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Westfield State got on the board first when junior midfielder Kieran Moriarity (West Springfield, MA) put a free kick to the right side of the box where junior forward Brodie Keene (Feeing Hills, MA) fired in a shot from five yards out to give the Owls a 1-0 advantage in the 17th minute.
• Westfield State took the one-goal lead heading into halftime after outshooting RIC by a 7-6 margin.
• That host Owls added an insurance goal at the 54:04 mark on a penalty kick from junior forward Legend Mu'min (Springfield, MA).
• Sophomore Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) (6-6-1) made five saves for RIC in the setback, while senior Alex Kraver (West Springfield, MA) (4-3) recorded seven stops in the win for Westfield State. RIC senior Cooper Ferreira (Westerly, RI), a former netminder who is now a forward, played the final 30 minutes and was credited with three saves.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Westfield State outshot RIC by a 13-12 margin, while the Anchormen held a 6-0 advantage in corner kicks in the contest.
• It was the second consecutive shutout loss for RIC, which fell at Western Connecticut, 1-0, on Oct. 14.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East Conference action at home vs. Keene State on Saturday, Oct. 21 (1 p.m.).