Providence, R.I.-Senior forward Komla Dogbey (Providence, RI) scored his fourth goal of the season, but it wouldn't be enough as the Rhode Island College men's soccer team suffered a 2-1 overtime setback against UMass Boston in a Little East Conference contest played at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon.
UMass Boston 2, Rhode Island College 1 (OT)
(UMass Boston 5-2-2, 2-1 LEC)
(Rhode Island College 4-4-1, 2-1 LEC
HOW IT HAPPENED
• UMass Boston got on the board first when freshman midfielder Jake Davenport (Weymouth, MA) took the pass and buried a shot into the bottom right corner of the net to put the visiting Beacons up, 1-0, at the 19:04 mark.
• UMB took the one goal lead heading into halftime after outshooting RIC by an 8-7 margin.
• RIC evened the score early in the second half when UMB was whistled for a foul in the 51st minute. Sophomore midfielder Kevin Tay Munoz (Providence, RI) took the free kick and sent a shot into the box. Dogbey then secured the deflection and blasted in a shot from 10 yards out to tie the game at 1-1.
• That would be all the scoring in regulation as the first 90 minutes ended in a 1-1 tie with RIC holding a 15-12 advantage in shots after 90 minutes of action.
• At the 95:51 mark, UMass Boston was awarded a corner kick. On the ensuing play, sophomore forward Raffi DeSouza (Watertown, MA) put in a shot from two yards out after a corner kick from junior midfielder Eric Murakami (Woburn, MA) to propel the Beacons to the 2-1 overtime victory.
• Sophomore Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) (4-3-1) made six stops for RIC in the setback, while sophomore goalkeeper Omar Castro-Dreher (Woonsocket, RI) (4-1-2) tallied five saves for UMass Boston in the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC outshot UMass Boston by a slight, 15-14, margin.
• UMass Boston held a 5-4 advantage in corner kicks in the game.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Gordon on Tuesday, Oct. 3 (4 p.m.).