Bristol, R.I.- Sophomore midfielder Kevin Tay Munoz (Providence, RI) scored his first goal of the season, the eventual game-winner, to lead he Rhode Island College men's soccer team to a 3-2 victory against Roger Williams in a non-conference contest played at Bayside Field on Wednesday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 3, Roger Williams 2
(Roger Williams 5-4-2)
(Rhode Island College 4-3-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC got on the board first when Roger Williams misplayed an Anchorman corner kick and scored an own goal to put the Anchormen up, 1-0, in the fifth minute.
• Roger Williams answered at the 15:06 mark when senior midfielder Sean Janson (Avon, CT) scored his fourth goal of the season, sliding in a shot just inside the corner of the net after an assist from sophomore midfielder Colby Decker (Colchester, CT) to knot the game at 1-1.
• The visiting Anchormen regained the lead in the 26th minute, again on a corner kick. After sophomore defenseman Preston Kar (Monrovia, Liberia) sent a kick into the box, senior defenseman Elimane Seye (Providence, RI) put a header into the upper right corner of the net to give RIC the 2-1 advantage. The goal was the second of the season for Seye.
• RIC took the one goal lead heading into halftime after outshooting Roger Williams by a 9-7 margin in the stanza.
• Tay Munoz put the Anchormen up, 3-1, at the 59:20 mark when he tallied his first goal of the season on a free kick. That goal would prove to be the eventual game-winner, the first gwg of his collegiate career.
• Once again, Roger Williams responded in the 74th minute when sophomore midfielder Nicholas Sanchez (Franklin, MA) headed in a free kick from freshman defenseman Jack Bicknell (Tewksbury, MA) to cut the RIC lead down to 3-2.
• RIC freshman goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) (4-2-1) made five stops for RIC, while senior goalkeeper Nick Nelson (Madison, CT) (1-2-1) tallied three saves for Roger Williams.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC outshot Roger Williams by a 17-13 margin, while Roger Williams recorded an 8-3 advantage in corner kicks for the contest.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East Conference play at home against UMass Boston on Saturday, Sept. 30 (1 p.m.).