Providence, R.I.-Junior midfielder Dennis Vazquez (Providence, RI) scored on a penalty kick in the 103rd minute and freshman goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) stopped a pair of penalty kicks to propel the Rhode Island College men's soccer team to a thrilling, 3-2, double overtime victory over Southern Maine in a Little East Conference contest played at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 3, Southern Maine 2 (2OT)
(Southern Maine 3-4, 0-2 LEC)
(Rhode Island College 3-3-1, 2-0 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC had several scoring chances early, including a shot from senior All-New England forward Komla Dogbey (Providence, RI) that was saved by Southern Maine freshman Richard Glemawu (Accra, Ghana) in the 25th minute, to keep the Anchormen off the board.
• With 8:28 left in the first half, RIC was whistled for a handball in the box. On the ensuing penalty kick, Tashjian stopped the first shot from senior forward Charlie Mull (Portland, ME). Mull had another shot on the rebound, which was again stopped by Tashjian. On the third shot of the sequence, Mull found the back of the net to put the Huskies up 1-0.
• In the 45th minute, RIC knotted the game when sophomore midfielder Michael Faria (West Warwick, RI) took a shot that was blocked by the Southern Maine defense. Vazquez collected the loose ball and buried a shot from 25 yards out for the equalizer.
• The two teams headed into halftime deadlocked, 1-1, with RIC holding a 9-6 advantage in shots for the stanza.
• Southern Maine was awarded its second penalty kick of the game after a RIC foul in the box in the 50th minute. Tashjian was once again equal to the task as he made the stop to preserve the 1-1 tie.
• Southern Maine took a 2-1 lead in the 67th minute when a failed clear by RIC was knocked down by sophomore midfielder Austin Farwell (Windham, ME). Farwell then fed a pass to freshman midfielder Riley Dinsmore-Patch (Eliot, ME) who put in a shot from 10 yards out to give the Huskies the advantage.
• RIC answered quickly as Dogbey scored on a shot just inside the far post after assists from Vazquez and Faria in the 70th minute to even the score at 2-2.
• Regulation ended in a 2-2 tie with Southern Maine holding a 16-15 advantage in shots after 90 minutes of action.
• Faria had a header from five yards out just over two minutes into overtime, but a diving save by Glemawu would keep the score tied.
• RIC outshot USM, 6-0, in the first overtime stanza, but couldn't capitalize as the game headed into a second overtime period.
• At the 102:48 mark, Southern Maine was whistled for a foul in the box when Vazquez was taken down on a scoring rush. Vazquez then blasted in the penalty kick to give RIC the thrilling, 3-2, victory.
• Tashjian (3-2-1) made five stops for RIC in the win, while Glemawu (3-4) tallied 10 saves for Southern Maine in the setback.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC outshot Southern Maine by a 22-16 margin and held a 5-3 advantage corner kicks for the contest.
• Southern Maine was whistled eight times for offsides during the game.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Roger Williams on Wednesday, Sept. 27 (4 p.m.).