Oneonta, N.Y.-Freshman goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) made three saves as the Rhode Island College men's soccer team lost, 4-0, to St. Lawrence in second round action of the 2017 Mayor's Cup Tournament, hosted by SUNY Oneonta on Saturday afternoon.
St. Lawrence 4, Rhode Island College 0
(St. Lawrence 1-2-1)
(Rhode Island College 0-3-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• St. Lawrence junior back Stephen Dormey (Avon, CT) headed in senior back Rob Brandell's (Glen Ridge, NJ) pass of a restart for his first goal of the year in the 20thminute.
• Junior forward Charlton Kelly (Toronto, Ontario) scored his second of the year on a header, with sophomore striker Jevaughn Sinclair (Clarendon, Jamaica) and freshman midfielder James Nicholas (Cornwall, CT) picking up the assists, in the 37th minute.
• Junior back Brendan McNamee (Newton, NJ) chipped a shot past Tashjian, off a leading pass from junior forward Tapshak Augustine (Abuja, Nigeria), in the 57thminute for his third of the year.
• Sinclair netted his first in the 79th minute off a pass from junior midfielder Jethro Dede (New York, NY) to round out the game's scoring.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Tashjian (0-2-1) made three saves in the loss. St. Lawrence junior goalkeeper Mike Smith (Syracuse, NY) turned aside three in the win (1-2-1).
• St. Lawrence outshot RIC, 11-8, and 7-3 in shots on goal.
• RIC held the advantage in corner kicks, 4-0.
• RIC senior forward Komla Dogbey (Providence, RI) led the Anchormen with three shots.
• The Mayor's Cup the oldest continuously running collegiate soccer tournament in the country.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Bridgewater State on Wednesday, Sept. 13 (4 p.m.).