Warwick, R.I.-Senior Austin Cilley (Westerly, RI) earned All-Great Northeast Athletic Conference honors with a third place finish, shooting a 149 (77, 72), to lead the Rhode Island College men's golf team to a runner-up finish at the 2017 GNAC Championship, played at Valley Country Club on Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 14-15.
Rhode Island College totaled a team score of 620 (308, 312). Johnson & Wales took home the team championship with a 601 (297, 304). UMass Dartmouth shot a 621 (311, 310) and finished tied for third place with St. Joseph's (ME), which also shot a 621 (316, 305).
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Sophomore Nathan Patterson (Conway, MA) finished tied for sixth place with a 151 (77, 74).
• Junior Mike Caparco (Johnston, RI) carded a 156 (74, 82) to earn a tie for 13th place.
• Sophomore Connor Fillmore (Killingly, CT) notched a 28th place finish with a 164 (80, 84), while freshman Connor Liebscher (Danielson, CT) rounded out the RIC golfers, placing in a tie for 33rd with a two-day total of 172 (81, 91).
BY THE NUMBERS
• There were 45 golfers and nine teams competing at the GNAC Championships.
• Valley Country Club is a par-72 course that measures 6,673-yards.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will wrap up the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign when it travels to the New England Intercollegiate Golf Association (NEIGA) Championship at the Captain's Course in Brewster, Mass. on Oct. 22-23.