North Dartmouth, Mass.—Senior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) scored his 1,000th career point in the Rhode Island College men's basketball team's, 88-73, setback at UMass Dartmouth on Wednesday night.
UMass Dartmouth 88, Rhode Island College 73
UMass Dartmouth (16-6, 10-3 LEC)
Rhode Island College (13-9, 6-7 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Sophomore guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) finished with 20 points, which included a 5-for-9 three-point shooting performance, to go along with three rebounds and two steals.
• Campbell finished with 18 points and three rebounds. Junior guard Jonatan Batista (Providence, RI) totaled five points, five assists and three steals. Junior forward Benjamin Vezele (Providence, RI) contributed six points and seven boards.
• UMD senior Arinze Obiora (Hyde Park, MA) scored 24 points and grabbed 19 rebounds for his 10th double-double of the season. Freshman Marcus Azor's (Brockton, MA) added 20 points, seven assists and three steals in the win for the Corsairs.
• The two teams traded five point first half advantages before settling for a 38-38 tie at the break, but the hosts scored 16 of the first 23 points after intermission to take a nine point lead, 54-45, on jumper with 14:53 remaining.
• The visiting Anchormen whittled their deficit back to five on a pair of occasions, the last coming on a freshman guard Tamar Williams (New Haven, CT) lay-in with 6:05 to go.
• UMass Dartmouth used a decisive 14-0 run in nearly five minutes of action to expand its edge to 19, 86-67, with 1:30 to play and ice its 12th triumph in the last 14 outings dating back to Dec. 6.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Rhode Island College shot 39 percent (26-for-67) from the field, 50 percent (10-for-20) from three-point range and 73 percent (11-for-15) from the free throw line.
• UMass Dartmouth shot 54 percent (37-for-68) from the field, 39 percent (5-for-13) from downtown and 75 percent (9-for-12) from the charity stripe.
• UMD outrebounded RIC, 50-27.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at home vs. Keene State on Saturday, Feb. 9 (3 p.m.).