Castleton, Vt.--Sophomore guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) tallied a career-best 32 points, including a school-record 10 three-pointers, to lead the Rhode Island College men's basketball team to a 71-55 victory at Castleton in a Little East Conference contest on Wednesday evening.
Rhode Island College 71, Castleton 55
Rhode Island College (13-8, 6-6 LEC)
Castleton (3-18, 0-12 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC freshman guard Deyshawn Tengbeh (East Providence, RI) chipped in with 12 points and four rebounds, while junior forward Benjamin Vezele (Providence, RI) narrowly missed a double-double with nine points and 13 boards.
• Junior guard Casey Belade (Shelton, CT) led the way for Castleton with 17 points and five rebounds. Freshman guard Mike McKoy (Charlotte, NC) added 16 points.
• After Castleton jumped out to the early lead, RIC rallied and took its first advantage of the game when a three-pointer from Floyd put the Anchormen up, 11-10, with 15:15 left in the first half.
• The Anchormen used a 12-3 run, capped by a three-pointer from Floyd, to take their first double-digit advantage, 23-13, with 9:38 left in the half.
• RIC pushed the lead to as many as 22 points after a three-pointer from Floyd staked the Anchormen to a 42-20 advantage with 3:00 remaining in the stanza.
• RIC led, 44-26, at halftime.
• The Anchormen led, 57-36, on a three-pointer from freshman guard Tamar Williams (New Haven, CT) with just over 12 minutes left on the clock.
• Castleton then used a 12-0 run to close the gap to just 57-48 after a three-pointer from senior forward Ben Mrowka (Adelaide, Australia) with 9:43 remaining.
• That would be as close as the Spartans would get, however, as RIC pulled away down the stretch en route to the 71-55 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 42 percent (22-of-52) from the field, 46 percent (15-of-33) from the three-point line and 67 percent (12-of-18) from the free throw line.
• Castleton shot 44 percent (22-of-50) from the field, 35 percent (7-of-20) from the three-point line and 57 percent (4-of-7) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Castleton by a slight 31-29 margin and forced the Spartans into 17 turnovers.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East play at UMass Dartmouth on Wednesday, Feb. 6 (7:30 p.m.).