Providence, R.I.--Sophomore guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) scored a team-best 21 points and corraled eight rebounds as the Rhode Island College men's basketball team fell at Eastern Connecticut, 93-77, in a Little East Conference contest on Saturday afternoon.
Eastern Connecticut 93, Rhode Island College 77
Rhode Island College (10-8, 3-6 LEC)
Eastern Connecticut (14-3, 8-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC freshman guard Deyshawn Tengbeh (East Providence, RI) added 19 points and eight rebounds. Junior forward Benjamin Vezele (Providence, RI) was also in double figures with 12 points and three boards in the loss for the Anchormen.
• Sophomore guard Cory Muckle (Westbrook, CT) led the way for Eastern Connecticut with a game-high 27 points. Junior guard Carlos Gonzalez (Springfield, MA) added 22 points, nine assists and six rebounds in the win for the Warriors.
• Eastern Connecticut had control of the action early and took its first double-digit advantage when a layup from freshman forward Seth Thomas (Norwich, CT) made the score 26-15 with 12:36 left in the first half.
• The host Warriors led by as many as 17 points in the opening stanza after a dunk from senior forward Leonel Hyatt (Greenwich, CT) gave them the 38-21 advantage with just over 10 minutes left in the half.
• RIC climbed back and cut the ECSU lead to four, 47-43, on a jumper from freshman guard Tamar Williams (New Haven, CT) with 2:49 remaining in the stanza.
• That would be as close as the Anchormen would get as Eastern Connecticut held the 53-45 lead heading into the locker room at halftime after shooting 54.1 percent (20-for-37) from the field.
• RIC continued to chip away at the lead and closed the gap to just three points as a layup from Tengbeh cut the deficit down to three, 68-65, with 11:50 left in the contest.
• Eastern Connecticut then used a 25-6 run, capped by a three-pointer from Gonzalez, to take the 93-71 lead with 4:05 remaining.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Eastern Connecticut shot 46.7 percent (35-of-75) from the field, 38.2 percent (13-of-34) from the three-point line and 100.0 percent (10-of-10) from the free throw line.
• RIC shot 40.3 percent (29-of-72) from the field, 32.4 percent (11-of-34) from the three-point line and 61.5 percent (8-of-13) from the free throw line.'
• Eastern Connecticut outrebounded RIC by a 43-38 margin
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at home against Plymouth State on Wednesday, Jan. 23 (7:30 p.m.).