Providence, R.I.—Freshman guard Deyshawn Tengbeh (East Providence, RI) scored a game-high 18 points and hauled down seven rebounds to lead the Rhode Island College men's basketball team to a commanding, 74-35, victory vs. Castleton in a Little East Conference contest played at The Murray Center on Wednesday evening.
Rhode Island College 74, Castleton 35
Rhode Island College (10-7, 3-5 LEC)
Castleton (3-13, 0-8 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC guard Tamar Williams (New Haven, CT) registered 16 points and six rebounds, while sophomore guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) notched 16 points, five boards and four assists in the win for the Anchormen.
• Junior guard Casey Belade (Shelton, CT) paced Castleton with nine points and three rebounds, while sophomore guard Eric Shaw (Sutter Creek, CA) contributed eight points and four boards in the loss for the Spartans.
• RIC controlled the action early and took its first double-digit advantage, 18-8, on a layup from Floyd with 8:43 left in the first half.
• The Anchormen pushed the lead to as many as 26 points after a layup from Williams made the score, 40-14, with 1:34 remaining in the stanza. RIC led, 40-18, at halftime.
• RIC opened the second half on a 14-2 run, capped by a jumper from senior forward Bernard Broaster (Hollywood, CA), to take a 54-20 lead with 12:54 left in the contest.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Castleton shot 25.9 percent (15-of-58) from the field, 10.0 percent (1-of-10) from the three-point line and 66.7 percent (4-of-6) from the free throw line.
• RIC shot 40.3 percent (27-of-67) from the field, 35.1 percent (13-of-37) from the three-point line and 63.6 percent (7-of-11) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Castleton by a 48-37 margin and forced the Spartans into 21 turnovers.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Eastern Connecticut for a Little East Conference contest on Saturday, Jan. 19 (3 p.m.).