Plymouth, N.H.--RIC senior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) recorded a double-double with 20 points and 12 rebounds as the Anchormen fell at Plymouth State, 71-66, in a Little East Conference contest on Saturday afternoon.
Plymouth State 71, Rhode Island College 66
Rhode Island College (9-5, 2-3 LEC)
Plymouth State (8-4, 4-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC freshman guard Deyshawn Tengbeh (East Providence, RI) scored a team-best 21 points and pulled down eight rebounds and three steals.
• Junior forward Benjamin Vezele (Providence, RI) notched a double-double with 12 points and 10 boards in the loss for the Anchormen.
• Junior guard Joe Simpson (Manchester, NH) led the way for Plymouth State with a game-high 23 points and 11 rebounds, while junior center Ryan Roggenbuck (Goffstown, NH) also recorded a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
• Neither team led by more than four points early on with RIC holding a one point, 29-28, advantage after a three-pointer from Tengbeh with just over two minutes left in the first stanza.
• Plymouth State led by one, 31-30, at halftime.
• RIC opened the second half on an 18-9 run, capped by a layup from Campbell, to take the, 48-40, lead with 15:17 left in the contest.
• Plymouth State responded and regained the lead on a three-pointer from Simpson to made the score, 60-59, with 7:37 left on the clock.
• The two team then traded baskets and the score was knotted, 64-64, with 3:28 remaining.
• RIC scored just two more points down the stretch on a pair of free throws from freshman guard Kyerstan Casey (Riverside, RI) as Plymouth State went 4-for-4 from the line over the final 10 seconds of the game to take the 71-66 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Plymouth State shot 40.0 percent (24-of-60) from the field, 37.9 percent (11-of-29) from the three-point line and 70.6 percent (12-of-17) from the free throw line.
• RIC shot 31.4 percent (22-of-70) from the field, 29.6 percent (8-of-27) from the three-point line and 63.6 percent (14-of-22) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Plymouth State by a 50-45 margin and forced the Panthers into 17 turnovers
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East play at home vs. UMass Dartmouth on Tuesday, Jan. 8 (7:30 p.m.)