Gorham, Maine--Sophomore guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) tallied a game-high 23 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Rhode Island College men's basketball team to a 69-52 win at Southern Maine in a Little East Conference contest on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 69, Southern Maine 52
Rhode Island College (9-3, 1-2 LEC)
Southern Maine (3-5, 1-3 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC senior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) posted a double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds.
• Freshman guard Deyshawn Tengbeh (East Providence, RI) contributed 13 points, seven rebounds and three assists, while junior forward Benjamin Vezele (Providence, RI) was also in double figures with 11 points and five boards in the win for the Anchormen.
• Senior forward Sean Jany (Westbrook, ME) led the way for Southern Maine with 15 points, four rebounds and two assists.
• Junior guard Jayvon Pitts Young (Portland, ME) added 12 points and three rebounds, while senior guard Christian McCue (Hampden, ME) was also in double figures with 10 points in the loss for the Huskies.
• Southern Maine raced out to an early, 7-0, advantage before RIC used a 10-3 run, capped by a three pointer from Floyd, to tie the game, 10-10, with 11:35 left in the first half.
• RIC grabbed its first lead of the game when a jumper from Floyd put RIC up by one, 22-21, with 5:38 left in the first half.
• The Anchormen led by as many as six points late in the first half before taking a one-point advantage, 29-28, at halftime.
• RIC trailed, 38-37, early in the second half before going on a 16-3 run, capped by a pair of free throws from senior forward Bernard Broaster (Hollywood, FL), to take the, 53-41, lead with 7:21 left in the contest.
• RIC led by as many as 18 points late before cruising to the league victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Southern Maine shot 33.3 percent (20-of-60) from the field, 26.1 percent (6-of-23) from the three-point line and 54.5 percent (6-of-11) from the free throw line.
• RIC shot 38.7 percent (24-of-62) from the field, 30.4 percent (7-of-23) from the three-point line and 70.0 percent (14-of-20) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Southern Maine by a 46-37 margin and forced the Huskies into 13 turnovers in the contest.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host MIT on Monday, Dec. 10 (5:30 p.m.).