Weston, Mass.--Junior guard Jonatan Batista (Providence, RI) posted 12 points, four rebounds and four assists to lead the Rhode Island College men's basketball team to a 61-56 win at Regis on Monday evening.
Rhode Island College 61, Regis 56
Rhode Island College (8-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) added 13 points, four assists and two rebounds.
• Junior forward Benjamin Vezele (Providence, RI) notched 14 points and seven rebounds, while senior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) added a double-double with 10 points and 12 boards in the win for the Anchormen.
• Senior center Shawn Weederburn (Bronx, NY) paced Regis with a double-double, scoring 14 points to go along with 11 rebounds. Senior forward Ademola Afonja (Staten Island, NY) added 10 points and six boards.
• It was a back and forth battle throughout the first half with RIC holding the, 27-20, advantage on a three-pointer from Floyd with 5:43 left in the first half.
• Regis then closed the stanza on an 8-0 run to take the, 28-27, lead heading into the locker room at halftime.
• The Pride led, 38-35, after a three-pointer from senior forward Isaiah Wilson (Cambria Heights, NY) with just over 14 minutes left in regulation.
• The Anchormen then went on an 11-0 run, capped by a three-pointer from freshman guard Dayshawn Tengbeh (East Providence, RI), to take the 46-38 lead with 10:29 remaining.
• Regis cut the RIC lead down to four several times late in the contest, but couldn't get any closer as the Anchormen held on for the 61-56 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Regis shot 41.1 percent (22-of-56) from the field, 37.5 percent (6-of-16) from the three-point line and 50.0 percent (4-of-8) from the free throw line.
• RIC shot 34.9 percent (22-of-63) from the field, 31.8 percent (7-of-22) from the three-point line and 47.6 percent (10-of-21) from the free throw line.
• Regis outrebounded RIC by a 47-36 margin.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East action at Keene State on Wednesday, Dec. 5 (7:30 p.m.).