Franklin, Mass.--Freshman guard Deyshawn Tengbeh (East Providence, RI) recorded a career-high 25 points to go along with eight rebounds and four steals to lead the Rhode Island College men's basketball team to a 75-65 victory over Pine Manor in the consolation game of the 2018 Bulldog Tip-Off Tournament hosted by Dean on Sunday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 75, Pine Manor 65
Rhode Island College (4-1)
Pine Manor (1-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) scored 12 points and added six rebounds and five steals.
• Junior forward Benjamin Vezele (Providence, RI) recorded a double-double with 11 points, 14 rebounds and six blocks, while senior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) was also in double figures with 11 points and nine boards in the win for the Anchormen.
• Junior guard Steven Collins (Lynn, MA) led the way for Pine Manor, registering a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds.
• Sophomore center Sayvonn Houston (Brockton, MA) added 14 points, nine boards, three blocks and two steals in the setback for the Gators.
• Collins gave Pine Manor its largest lead of the first half when a pair of free throws put the Gators up by seven, 17-10, with 14:10 left in the stanza.
• RIC responded and used a 14-3 run to take a 24-20 advantage with 9:03 on the clock.
• The two teams then traded baskets for the remainder of the half with RIC holding the 35-34 lead at halftime.
• Pine Manor led, 41-37, with just over 16:00 left in regulation on a layup from Houston.
• Again, the Anchormen responded and used a 10-1 run, capped by a dunk from Vezele, to put RIC ahead by five, 47-42.
• RIC's first double-digit lead of the contest came with 11:50 on the clock as a layup from Campbell put the Anchormen up, 55-44.
• Pine Manor trimmed the RIC lead down to just five points, 68-63, late in regulation, but that would be as close as the Gators would get as the Anchormen pulled away down the stretch for the 75-65 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Pine Manor shot 33.8 percent (22-of-65) from the field, 26.1 percent (6-of-23) from the three-point line and 65.2 percent (15-of-23) from the free throw line.
• RIC shot 35.6 percent (35-of-73) from the field, 30.8 percent (8-of-26) from the three-point line and 55.6 percent (15-of-27) from the free throw line.
• Pine Manor outrebounded RIC by a 52-50 margin, while RIC forced Pine Manor into 18 turnovers in the contest.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Bridgewater State at The Murray Center on Tuesday, Nov. 20 (7:30 p.m.)