Franklin, Mass.--Senior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) registered a double-double with 12 points and a game-high 14 rebounds as the Rhode Island College men's basketball team dropped a 78-68 decision against Bard in the opening round of the 2018 Bulldog Tip-Off Tournament played at Dean on Saturday afternoon.
Bard 78, Rhode Island College 68
Rhode Island College (3-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) scored a team-best 20 points and added three rebounds, while freshman guard Deyshawn Tengbeh (East Providence, RI) added 14 points and two steals in the setback.
• Junior forward Benjamin Vezele (Providence, RI) notched six rebounds and 10 boards for the Anchormen.
• Sophomore guard Alijah Rue (Stoughton, MA) paced Bard with a game-high 22 points, seven rebounds and four assists, while senior forward Armondo Dunn (Queens Village, NY) notched a double-double with 12 points and 12 boards in the victory.
• Sophomore guard Zach Jacobs (New City, NY) notched 12 points and four assists, while senior guard David Runcie (South Orange, NJ) was also in double figures with 12 points for the Raptors.
• RIC controlled the action early and took its first double-digit lead, 13-3, on a layup from Campbell with just over 15:00 left in the first half.
• Bard took its first advantage of the game with 5:45 left in the stanza when a three-pointer from Runcie gave the Raptors a one point, 25-24, lead.
• The two teams then traded baskets for the remainder of the half and Bard took a 41-33 lead heading into the locker room at halftime.
• Bard pushed the lead to, 54-33, on a three-pointer from Jacobs with 14:25 left in regulation.
• The Anchormen cut the deficit down to five points, 61-56, on a three-pointer from Floyd with 5:42 left on the clock.
• That would be as close at RIC would get, however, as Bard held on down the stretch to hand the Anchormen their first loss of the season.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Bard shot 41.4 percent (29-of-70) from the field, 31.8 percent (7-of-22) from the three-point line and 46.0 percent (13-of-32) from the free throw line.
• RIC shot 41.3 percent (26-of-63) from the field, 33.3 percent (6-of-18) from the three-point line and 58.8 percent (10-of-17) from the free throw line.
• Bard outrebounded RIC by a 55-38 margin in the contest.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will take on Pine Manor in the consolation game of the tournament on Sunday, Nov. 18 (Noon)