Chicopee, Mass.--Sophomore guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) had a game-high 24 points, eight rebounds, four steals and two assists to lead the Rhode Island College men's basketball team to a 71-58 victory at Elms on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 71, Elms 58
Rhode Island College (2-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior forward Benjamin Vezele (Providence, RI) notched a double-double with 21 points, 15 rebounds and six blocks.
• Freshman guard Deyshawn Tengbeh (East Providence, RI) notched nine points and four assists, while junior guard Jonatan Batista (Providence, RI) chipped in with two points, six assists and six boards in the victory,
• Junior forward Pablo Ortiz (Newington, CT) paced Elms with 12 points and three rebounds, while sophomore forward Andre Peguero (Boynton Beach, FL) was also in double figures with 10 points and nine boards in the loss for the Blazers.
• RIC had control early and took a 9-4 lead on a three-pointer from Floyd just three minutes into the game.
• Elms used an 18-3 run to take a 22-12 advantage on a layup from Ortiz with 8:24 left in the first half.
• The host Blazers led, 33-29, at halftime.
• RIC regained the advantage early in the second stanza when a layup from Vezele put the Anchormen up by one, 34-33, with 19:26 left on the clock.
• The Anchormen built on their lead throughout the second half and took an 11 point advantage, 60-49, on a layup by Floyd with 7:43 remaining and cruised to the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 40.0 percent (26-of-65) from the field, 26.9 percent (7-of-26) from the three-point line and 60.0 percent (12-of-20) from the free throw line.
• Elms shot 34.2 percent (25-of-73) from the field, 13.0 percent (3-of-23) from the three-point line and 50.0 percent (5-of-10) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Elms by a 50-48 margin.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Johnson & Wales on Wednesday, Nov. 14 (7 p.m.).