Boston, Mass.--Freshman guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) scored 21 points and had seven rebounds as the sixth-seeded Rhode Island College men's basketball team suffered a 73-67 setback at third-seeded UMass Boston in the quarterfinals of the Little East Conference Championship on Tuesday evening.
UMass Boston 73, Rhode Island College 67
(Rhode Island College 8-18)
(UMass Boston 16-10)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Junior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) added 12 points with four boards in the loss for the Anchormen.
• Freshman guard Charles Mitchell (Boston, MA) paced UMass Boston with 19 points and 13 rebounds.
• Freshman guard Michael Boyd (Malden, MA) had 17 points, three assists and two rebounds in the win for the Beacons.
• RIC controlled the game early and held a 17-8 lead after a dunk by Campbell with 8:22 left in the first half.
• The Anchormen led by as many as 13 in the stanza when a three-pointer from Smith with just under five minutes left on the clock put RIC up 27-14.
• RIC held a 31-24 lead at halftime.
• UMass Boston took its first lead of the second half when a three-pointer from Mitchell put the Beacons up by one, 36-35, with 15:58 remaining.
• RIC trailed by just one point after a three-pointer from Floyd with 3:36 left in the contest put the score at 60-59.
• That would be as close as the Anchormen would get as UMass Boston hit on 11-of-14 from the free throw line in the last two minutes to secure the 73-67 victory.
• The Anchormen see their season come to an end, while UMass Boston advances to the semifinals on Friday evening.
BY THE NUMBERS
• UMass Boston shot 41.7 percent (25-of-60) from the field, 25.0 percent (6-of-24) from the three-point line and 73.9 percent (17-of-23) from the free throw line.
• UMB outrebounded RIC by a 43-31 margin and forced the Anchormen into 16 turnovers.
ANCHORMEN END SEASON IN, 73-67, SETBACK AT UMASS BOSTON IN LEC TOURNAMENT
Rhode Island Col.
|Rhode Island Col. (8-18)||31||36||67|
Feb 20, 2018