Providence, R.I.-Junior center Grant Gillis (Jamestown, RI) recorded a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds to propel the Rhode Island College men's basketball team to a 61-56 win over Southern Maine in a Little East Conference contest played at The Murray Center on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 61, Southern Maine 56
(Rhode Island College 6-16, 3-8 LEC)
(Southern Maine 5-18, 3-9 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC freshman guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) narrowly missed a double-double with 13 points and nine rebounds.
• Junior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) was also in double figures with 12 points and three boards in the win for the Anchormen.
• Senior guard Christian McCue (Hampden, ME) paced Southern Maine with a game-high 18 points, four rebounds, three assists and two steals.
• Freshman guard DJ Anderson (Houston, TX) added 16 points and two rebounds, while senior guard Donne Agossou (Auburn, ME) was also in double figures with 10 points in the loss for the Huskies.
• The game went back and forth early with the score tied on five occasions, including, 20-20, with three minutes left in the first half.
• Southern Maine then closed out the half on a 6-0 run to take a 27-21 advantage at halftime.
• The visiting Huskies pushed their lead to eight, 37-29, on a layup from Agossou with 13:41 left in the contest.
• RIC responded and used a 9-1 run, capped by a layup from sophomore guard Mike Valelli (Cranston, RI), to knot the game, 38-38, with 9:23 remaining in the contest.
• The Anchormen took their first lead of the second half when a three-pointer from Floyd put the team up by two, 48-46, with just over six minutes left.
• RIC pushed the lead to eight, 57-49, on a free throw from Gillis with 1:28 on the clock.
• USM cut the deficit down to one, 57-56, on a pair of free throws from McCue with :22 remaining, but that would be as close as they would get as the Anchormen hit four from the charity stripe down the stretch to secure the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 28.6 percent (8-of-28) from the field, 50.0 percent (11-of-22) from three-point range and 38.0 percent (19-of-50) from the free throw line.
• Southern Maine shot 39.3 percent (22-of-56) from the field, 23.5 percent (4-of-17) from the three-point line and 61.5 percent (8-of-13) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Southern Maine by a 43-29 margin.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at Western Connecticut on Monday, Feb. 12 (7:30 p.m.).
GILLIS LEADS ANCHORMEN TO, 61-56, WIN VS. SOUTHERN MAINE
Rhode Island Col.
|Southern Me. (5-18, 3-9 LEC)||27||29||56|
|Rhode Island Col. (6-16, 3-8 LEC)||21||40||61|
Feb 10, 2018