Amherst, Mass.-Freshman guard AJ Pettway (Worcester, MA) scored a team-high seven points and added three rebounds in the Rhode Island College men's basketball team's, 75-36, loss at Amherst on Tuesday evening.
Amherst 75, Rhode Island College 36
(Rhode Island College 4-15)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC freshman Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) tallied six points and four rebounds.
• Junior center Grant Gillis (Jamestown, R.I.) scored six points and pulled down five rebounds in the loss for the Anchormen
• Amherst was led by freshman guard Grant Robinson (McLean, VA) with 12 points, three rebounds, three assists and two steals.
• Sophomore guard Tommy Mobley (West Newton, MA) was also in double figures with 12 points and four boards in the win for the Mammoths.
• Amherst raced out to an early, 10-0, advantage and held a 27-6 lead after a three-pointer from Mobley with 8:11 remaining in the first half.
• The host Mammoths took a 41-16 lead heading into the locker room at halftime.
• Amherst pushed the lead throughout the second half and took its largest advantage, 75-33, on a pair of free throws from freshman center DJ Dibate (Durham, N.C) with just over two minutes remaining before cruising to the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 22.4 percent (13-of-58) from the field, 5.6 percent (1-of-18) from the three-point line and 52.9 percent (9-of-17) from the free throw line.
• Amherst shot 40.5 percent (30-of-74) from the field, 37.5 percent (12-of-32) from the three-point line and 50.0 percent (3-of-6) from the free throw line.
• Amherst out rebounded RIC by a 54-37 margin and forced the Anchormen into 17 turnovers.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East action at Keene State on Saturday, Feb. 3 (3 p.m.).
AMHERST DEFEATS RIC, 75-36
Rhode Island Col.
|Rhode Island Col. (4-15)||16||20||36|
Jan 30, 2018