Dartmouth, Mass.-Sophomore guard CJ Donaldson (Bridgeport, CT) scored a team-best 16 points to go along with nine rebounds, five steals and four assists as the Rhode Island College men's basketball team dropped a 71-68 decision at UMass Dartmouth in a Little East Conference contest on Wednesday night.
UMass Dartmouth 71, Rhode Island College 68
(Rhode Island College 4-13, 2-6 LEC)
(UMass Dartmouth 11-7, 4-4 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) notched a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
• Junior center Grant Gillis (Jamestown, RI) was also in double figures with 12 points and five boards in the setback for the Anchormen.
• Junior Arinze Obiora (Nagos, Nigeria) paced UMass Dartmouth with 17 points and 11 rebounds.
• Freshman guard Jake Ashworth (Fairhaven, MA) notched 15 points and three assists in the win for the Corsairs.
• RIC jumped out to an early, 13-3, lead after a three-pointer from sophomore guard Jonatan Batista (Providence, RI) with 14:10 left in the first half.
• The Anchormen held their largest lead of the first half, 33-22, on a layup from Donaldson with 2:00 left in the stanza.
• RIC took a 35-28 lead heading into the locker room at halftime.
• The Anchormen pushed their advantage to 14, 54-40, on a layup from Donaldson with 13:23 remaining in the contest.
• UMass Dartmouth then used a 13-2 run and cut the deficit down to three, 56-53, after a jumper from junior forward Atakan Akcam (Ankara, Turkey) with 9:53 remaining.
• RIC held a 61-55 lead after a three-pointer from Donaldson with 4:51 on the clock.
• UMass Dartmouth took its first lead of the game, 64-63, on a three-pointer from sophomore guard Brandon Williams (Dorchester, MA) with 2:51 remaining.
• The score was tied, 68-68, after a pair of free throws from Campbell with just :20 on the clock.
• Williams then hit a three-pointer to put the Corsairs up, 71-68, with :07 left.
• RIC had one last shot, but a three-pointer at the buzzer was off target to give UMass Dartmouth the 71-68 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC shot 44.8 percent (26-of-58) from the field, 38.5 percent (5-of-13) from beyond the three-point line and 73.3 percent (11-of-15) from the free throw line.
• UMass Dartmouth shot 43.9 percent (23-of-66) from the field, 58.3 percent (7-of-12) from beyond the three-point line and 60.0 percent (6-of-10) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded UMass Dartmouth by a 41-32 margin.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host UMass Boston on Saturday, Jan. 27 (3 p.m.).