Gorham, Maine-Senior guard Malcolm Smith (Old Orchard Beach, ME) scored a team-best 15 points and added eight rebounds to lead the Rhode Island College men's basketball squad to a 67-51 win at Southern Maine in a Little East Conference contest played at Hill Gymnasium on Wednesday night.
Rhode Island College 67, Southern Maine 51
(Rhode Island College 3-10, 1-3 LEC)
(Southern Maine 1-13, 0-4 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore guard CJ Donaldsoon (Bridgeport, CT) scored seven points and hauled in a team-high 10 rebounds to go along with seven assists.
• Senior guard Roosevelt Shider (Meriden, CT) contributed 13 points and two rebounds in the victory for the Anchormen.
• Junior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) was also in double figures with 12 points and seven boards in the win.
• Senior guard Christian McCue (Hampden, ME) paced Southern Maine with 19 points in the setback.
• USM had control of the game early and posted an 11-6 advantage after a three-pointer from McCue with 13:33 left in the first half.
• RIC responded and took its first lead since the early going when a free throw from Donaldson put the Anchormen up by one, 21-20, with just under four minutes remaining in the stanza.
• RIC took a 30-25 lead heading into the locker room at halftime.
• The Anchormen took their first double-digit lead of the contest when a three-pointer from Smith with 18:13 left in the contest made the score 37-25.
• RIC led by as many as 23 points late in the game when a layup from junior center Grant Gillis (Jamestown, RI) put the team up, 60-37, with 6:22 remaining.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 48.1 percent (26-of-54) from the field, 30.0 percent (6-of-20) from the three-point line and 56.3 percent (9-of-16) from the free throw line.
• Southern Maine shot 33.9 percent (22-of-56) from the field, 27.3 percent (6-of-22) from the three-point line and 87.5 percent (7-of-8) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Southern Maine by a commanding, 44-22, margin and forced the Huskies into 15 turnovers.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East Conference action at home vs. Plymouth State on Saturday, Jan. 13 (3 p.m.).