Providence, R.I.-Freshman guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) scored 20 points, added three rebounds and two assists as the Rhode Island College men's basketball team dropped an 87-67 decision against Salem State at The Murray Center on Tuesday evening.
Salem State 87, Rhode Island College 67
(Rhode Island College 2-4)
(Salem State University 4-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore guard CJ Donaldson (Bridgeport, CT) added 17 points, five rebounds, five assists and five steals in the setback.
• Junior forward Justin Campbell (New Haven, CT) was also in double figures with 10 points and four boards for the Anchormen.
• Salem State senior guard Shaquan Murray (Boston, MA) led the way with a game-high 21 points, five rebounds and two assists.
• Senior forward Drew Healy (Lowell, MA) notched a double-double with 18 points and a game-high 13 rebounds, while junior guard Alex Santos (Lawrence, MA) had 20 points and four assists in the victory for the Vikings.
• The two teams traded baskets early with RIC holding a 14-13 advantage on a layup by Floyd with 11:03 left in the first half.
• Salem State then went on an 11-0 run, capped by a layup from junior forward Temitope Bailey (West Springfield, MA), to take a 24-14 lead with just under six minutes left on the clock.
• The visiting Vikings built on their lead the rest of the stanza and took a 40-26 advantage heading into the locker room at halftime.
• Salem State extended the lead to 58-36 on a layup from Healy with 11:58 remaining in the contest.
• RIC responded and trimmed the lead down to 11, 64-53, on a pair of free throws from junior center Grant Gillis (Jamestown, RI) with 6:27 remaining. Salem State countered with a quick run to put the game out of reach.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 37.7 percent (26-of-69) from the field, 26.3 percent (5-of-19) from the three-point line and 71.4 percent (10-of-14) from the free throw line.
• Salem State shot 55.7 percent (34-of-61) from the field, 31.3 percent (5-of-16) from the three-point line and 93.3 percent (14-of-15) from the free throw line.
• Salem State outrebounded RIC by a 44-28 margin in the game.
• It was the first home loss (2-1) for RIC this season.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Fitchburg State on Thursday, Nov 30 (7 p.m.).