Providence, R.I.-Rhode Island College junior Miranda Murphy (Lansdale, PA) and sophomore Grace Davis (Royersford, PA) led the way for the women's gymnastics team as the Anchorwomen dropped a 188.400-174.550 decision against Brown to open the 2017-18 campaign at The Murray Center on Sunday afternoon.
Brown 188.400, Rhode Island College 174.550
(Rhode Island College 0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Murphy took first in the all-around with a combined score of 36.300. She tied for seventh on vault (9.200), finished sixth on bars, second on beam (9.375) and ninth on floor (9.175). Her all-around total and beam score were new career-high marks.
• Davis finished third on beam (9.175) for the Anchorwomen.
• RIC junior Kyndel Yett (Carrollton, GA) notched a fifth place finish on vault (9.275) and had the best score on floor for the Anchorwomen, placing fourth (9.575).
• Brown junior Julia Green (Exton, PA) took home first place on vault (9.550) and floor (9.800).
• Freshman Emma Hansen (Cincinnati, OH) finished in first on both bars (9.850) and beam (9.600) for the Bears.
• Brown junior Gabrielle Hechtman (Bellmore, NY) finished third on vault (9.400). Senior Anya Olson (Farmington Hills, MI) was third on bars (9.600). Sophomore Annie Christman (Amherst, NH) was third on floor (9.600).
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will face National Collegiate Gymnastics Association (NCGA) East rival Springfield at home on Saturday, Jan. 20 (1 p.m.).