Dartmouth, Mass.—Junior pitcher Mike Webb (Pawtucket, RI) picked up the win in game one, while classmate third baseman Ryan Rotondo (Warwick, RI) went 4-for-7, as the Rhode Island College baseball team closed out the regular season with a doubleheader split at UMass Dartmouth on Friday afternoon.
Game One: Rhode Island College 10, UMass Dartmouth 5
Game Two: UMass Dartmouth 5, Rhode Island College 3
Rhode Island College (25-14, 9-7 LEC)
UMass Dartmouth (17-20, 8-8 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Junior second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) went 3-for-4 with four runs scored, an RBI and a double in the opener. Rotondo went 4-for-5 with two runs scored and an RBI.
• Webb took a no-hitter into the seventh to earn his sixth (6-0) win of the season. He struck out six in 6.2 innings of work.
• UMD catcher Mitch Baker went 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI in the loss. Starter Dan Shea took the loss (1-1).
• RIC took a 1-0 lead in the first as Vigeant walked and eventually scored on an RBI fielder's choice by senior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI).
• The Anchormen tacked on two in the third on a Vigeant RBI single and a Walsh sacrifice fly. Junior right fielder Sam Banks (Portsmouth, RI) made it a 4-0 advantage with a sacrifice fly in the fourth.
• Rotondo brought in one with an RBI single, while junior designated hitter Ray Zincone (West Warwick, RI) notched a sacrifice fly, to put the visitors up, 6-0, in the fifth.
• A three-run seventh, highlighted by a Zincone RBI single, gave the Anchormen a 9-0 advantage.
• Webb saw his no-hit bid end in the seventh as UMD erupted for five runs to close the gap to four, 9-5.
• Zincone picked up an RBI in the ninth, while junior reliever Jake Rockefeller (Cumberland, RI) hurled two innings of scoreless relief, to secure the win.
• RIC senior left fielder Tyler Calabro (Cumberland, RI) knocked in one run and went 1-for-3 in the setback.
• Junior starter Erry Baldayac (Providence, RI) took the loss (0-3).
• UMD reliever Logan Maitla picked up the win (3-4). Left fielder Pat Vartanian went 1-for-4 with a run scored, two RBI and a double.
• RIC took a 1-0 lead in the second on a Calabro RBI single. The hosts ripped off five runs in the fourth, highlighted by a Vartanian two-run double, to go up by four, 5-1.
• The Anchormen got two across in the seventh, scoring on a wild pitch and a passed ball, but could not close the gap down the stretch.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play in the 2019 Little East Baseball Championship on May 8-11.