Worcester, Mass.—Senior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI) went 4-for-5 with one run and one RBI to lead the Rhode Island College baseball team to an, 8-5, victory against Clark on the road on Thursday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 8, Clark 5
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior catcher Sam Franco (Cranston, RI) was 2-for-3 with two runs scored and two RBI in the win.
• Clark was led by junior catcher Ryan Ruhlin (Portland, ME) who went 2-for-3 with an RBI, while junior right fielder Colin Porter (Brookfield, CT) was 1-for-3 with one run scored and two RBI.
• RIC junior starter Tyler Shemick (Foster, RI) earned the win (4-1), allowing five runs on 11 hits with seven strikeouts in 6.1 innings of work. Junior reliever Jake Rockefeller (Cumberland, RI) earned the save (3) for the Anchormen, throwing a perfect ninth inning.
• Clark senior Dan Shaw (Arlington, MA) suffered the loss (0-6), allowing three runs on nine hits in 5.2 innings.
• RIC took the 1-0 lead in the top of the first on an RBI single from Walsh
• A sacrifice fly from junior third baseman Ryan Rotondo (Warwick, RI) in the top of the third extended the Anchormen's lead to 2-0.
• Clark answered in the bottom of the third when a sacrifice fly from Porter cut the visitor's lead to 2-1.
• RIC regained the two-run cushion in the top of the fourth on a solo home run from Franco, his first of the season.
• Again, the host Cougars climbed within a run, 3-2, on an RBI single from junior second baseman Rudy Sarro (New Fairfield, CT) in the bottom of the fourth.
• RIC erupted for five runs in the top of the seventh, including a three-run double from junior shortstop Rommy Morel (Providence, RI) to push the lead to six, 8-2.
• Clark used a pair of solo home runs from Porter and sophomore left fielder Chris Radovic (Fairfield, CT) as part of a three-run seventh to get within three, 8-5, but the game's offense ended at that point.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East play with a doubleheader at home vs. UMass Boston on Saturday, April 27 (noon).