Providence, R.I.—The Rhode Island College baseball team split with Plymouth State in a Little East Conference doubleheader played at Pontarelli Field on Saturday afternoon. RIC posted a 14-5 win in the opener before Plymouth State rebounded for a 22-13 win in the nightcap.
Game One: Rhode Island College 14, Plymouth State 5
Game Two: Plymouth State 22, Rhode Island College 13
PSU (10-14, 3-5 LEC)
RIC (19-8, 5-3 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) went 2-for-3 with a run scored and two RBI, while junior third baseman Ryan Rotondo (Warwick, RI) was 3-for-5 with one run scored and three RBI for the Anchormen.
• Senior right fielder Josh Goulet (Nashua, NH) was 2-for-4 with two runs scored and two RBI in the loss for Plymouth State.
• Junior Mike Webb (Pawtucket, RI) picked up the win (4-0) for RIC, allowing five runs on four hits with 11 strikeouts in six innings. Junior Jake Rockefeller (Cumberland, RI) earned the save (2) for the Anchormen, throwing three innings of scoreless relief.
• Senior Cam Cossette (Milford, MA) suffered the loss (2-2) for Plymouth State, allowing seven runs on nine hits in 5.2 innings.
• Plymouth State jumped out to an early lead when a solo home run from Goulet gave the Panthers the 1-0 lead.
• RIC responded in the bottom of the first on a pair of RBI singles from Rotondo and Zincone for the 2-1 advantage.
• Vigeant's RBI single in the bottom of the second extended the Anchormen's lead to 3-1.
• Goulet belted his second home run of the game in the top of the fourth to make the score 3-2.
• RIC put up two more in the bottom of the fourth on an RBI single from freshman right fielder Charlie Amarante (Bristol, RI) and another RBI single from Rotondo for the 5-2 lead.
• The visiting Panthers responded in the top of the fifth when they pushed across three runs, highlighted by a two-run triple from Richard, to knot the game at 5-5.
• The Anchormen regained the lead in the bottom of the sixth as back-to-back sacrifice flies made it 7-5.
• RIC broke the game open in the bottom of the seventh with four runs, including an RBI double from sophomore left fielder Joseph Coro (North Providence, RI), for the 11-5 advantage.
• The Anchormen capped off the scoring for the game in the bottom of the eighth when they tallied three runs, which included a two-run double from Silva.
• Vigeant was 3-for-6 with one run scored and three RBI, while junior catcher Nick Feola (North Providence, RI) was 3-for-5 with three runs scored and three RBI in the loss for the Anchormen.
• Senior second baseman Ryan Richard (Berlin, NH) led the way for Plymouth State, going 4-for-6 with three runs scored and two RBI, while senior designated hitter Geoff Kayo (Londonderry, NH) was 5-for-6 with four runs scored and three RBI.
• Senior reliever Tyler Calabro (Cumberland, RI) took the loss (1-1) for RIC, allowing seven runs on nine hits in two innings of relief.
• Senior Alex Libby (Freeport, ME) had the win (2-1) for PSU, giving up five runs on seven hits in two innings of work.
• PSU struck first when an RBI single from senior catcher Gavin Cook (Littleton, NH) in the top of the second gave the Panthers the 1-0 lead.
• Vigeant put RIC on the board with a two-run home run in the bottom of the third to give the Anchormen the 2-1 lead.
• RIC added three in the third, including a two run single from Coro, for the 5-1 advantage.
• PSU climbed back into the game in the top of the fifth as they used a two-run home run from senior first baseman Ryan Boldwin (Penacook, NH) as part of a three-run inning to cut it down to a 5-4 game.
• RIC answered with four runs in the bottom of the fifth, including an RBI triple from Feola, for the 8-4 advantage.
• The back-and-forth affair continued into the top of the sixth as PSU scored five runs, highlighted by a two-run double from sophomore shortstop Joe Routhier (Nashua, NH), to take the 9-8 lead.
• Once again, RIC responded and used a two-run triple from Feola as part of a four-run inning to give the Anchormen a 12-9 lead.
• The Panthers erupted for seven runs in the top of the seventh, including a two-run double from Richard, to go up by four, 16-12.
• Plymouth State scored six more times to pick up the league win.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Anna Maria on Sunday, April 14 (1 p.m.).