Providence, R.I.—Junior second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) belted a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 10th inning to propel the Rhode Island College baseball team to a thrilling, 11-10, victory against Roger Williams at Pontarelli Field on Monday afternoon.
Roger Williams 11, Rhode Island College 10 (10 innings)
Roger Williams (8-13-1)
Rhode Island College (16-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior shortstop Ryan Rotondo (Warwick, RI) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and two RBI, while junior center fielder Josh Silva (Seekonk, MA) went 2-for-3 with two runs scored and three RBI.
• Senior catcher Chris Bosco (North Andover, MA) paced Roger Williams, going 3-for-5 with two runs scored and three RBI in the setback.
• Roger Williams struck first when it scored four in the top of the third, including an RBI double from junior center fielder Eddy Jackson (Seekonk, MA), for the 4-0 advantage.
• A two-run single from Bosco gave the visiting Hawks a 6-0 lead in the top of the fourth.
• RIC got on the board in the bottom of the fifth on an RBI single from Silva. Silva later came around to score on an RBI single from Rotondo to make it 6-2.
• RWU responded in the top of the sixth as the Hawks plated three runs, including a two-run single from senior third baseman Anthony Dominguez (Chester, NJ), to give the visitors a seven run, 9-2, cushion.
• RIC came all the way back to tie the score in the bottom of the sixth when the Anchormen pushed across seven runs, including a two-run double from Silva and a two-run single from Calabro to knot the game at 9-9.
• The Hawks regained the lead in the top of the seventh when a sacrifice fly from Jackson made it 10-9.
• Once again, RIC responded when a solo home run from Rotondo in the bottom of the eighth tied the game at 10-10.
• Neither team scored in the ninth and Vigeant then provided the heroics with his walk-off home run in the bottom of the 10th.
• RIC senior designated hitter/reliever Tyler Calabro (Cumberland, RI) earned the win (1-0), hurling 1.1 innings of scoreless relief. RWU freshman designated hitter/reliever Ben Bonavita (East Longmeadow, MA) took the loss (0-1).
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East action at Western Connecticut on Wednesday, April 10.