Providence, R.I.—Freshman right fielder Charlie Amarante (Bristol, RI) had a pair of hits and drove in a pair of runs to lead the Rhode Island College baseball team to a 6-3 victory against Bridgewater State in a non-conference contest played at Pontarelli Field on Wednesday afternoon
Rhode Island College 6, Bridgewater State 3
Rhode Island College (8-3)
Bridgewater State (2-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Amarante went 2-for-4 with one run scored and two RBI, while junior catcher Sam Franco (Cranston, RI) was 2-for-4 with a run scored for the Anchormen.
• Freshman Liam Bell (Wells, ME) paced Bridgewater State, going 2-for-3 with one run scored and an RBI in the setback.
• Senior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI) gave RIC the 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first on his first home run of the season.
• Bridgewater threatened in the top of the fifth when they loaded the bases with one out. Junior starter Mike Webb (Pawtucket, RI) then notched back-to-back strikeouts to end the inning and preserve the one run advantage for the Anchormen.
• RIC added to its lead in the bottom of the fifth as an RBI single from Amarante and an RBI single from junior center fielder Josh Silva (Seekonk, MA) put RIC on top by three.
• Bridgewater State came back with three unearned runs in the top of the sixth, which included an RBI double from Bell, to knot the game at 3-3.
• RIC answered with three in the bottom of the frame, highlighted by an RBI single from Amarante, to take the 6-3 lead.
• Webb pitched five scoreless innings, allowing just three hits with nine strikeouts, while senior Tyler Shemick (Foster, RI) took the win (2-0) in a relief effort. Junior Ryan Rotondo (Warwick, RI) picked up his first save on the season for RIC, throwing one scoreless inning of relief with one strikeout.
• Senior Greg Cavaioli (Leominster, MA) suffered the loss for Bridgewater State, allowing five runs on eight hits in two innings.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play a doubleheader vs. Fitchburg State at Franklin Pierce on Saturday, March 23 (noon).