Providence, R.I.—Junior third baseman Ray Zincone (West Warwick, RI) went 3-for-4 with two runs scored as the Rhode Island College baseball team fell, 5-4, at Johnson & Wales on Tuesday afternoon.
Johnson & Wales 5, Rhode Island College 4
Johnson & Wales (8-2)
Rhode Island College (7-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Junior catcher Sam Franco (Cranston, RI) went 1-for-3 with a pair of RBI.
• The Anchormen broke open a scoreless tie in the top of the fifth as Franco's single through the left side brought in a pair. The hosts evened the game in the home half of the frame on Tim Lombardi's two-run double.
• JWU scored on a wild pitch and a pair of RIC errors to build a three run cushion, 5-2, in the sixth.
• RIC scored twice in the seventh, but could not push across the equalizer. RIC freshman reliever Cam Harris (Cranston, RI) took the loss (0-1). Junior starter Jake Rockefeller (Cumberland, RI) allowed just two runs on six hits in five innings.
• JWU's Tom Doran picked up the win (1-0), allowing three runs on seven hits to go along with six strikeouts in 6.1 innings of work. Dane DellaValle picked up the save (1).
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Bridgewater State on Wednesday, March 20 (3:30 p.m.).