Auburndale, Fla.--Senior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI) went 3-for-4 with three runs scored and three RBI to lead the Rhode Island College baseball team to a commanding, 19-1, victory against SUNY Poly at the 2019 RussMatt Invitational on Wednesday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 19, SUNY Poly 1
Rhode Island College (4-1)
SUNY Poly (2-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) went 3-for-3 with three runs scored, while junior catcher Nick Feola (North Providence, RI) was 3-for-5 with a run scored and three RBI.
• RIC freshman Colin Gauthier (Pawtucket, RI) picked up his first collegiate victory (1-0) on the mound, allowing one run on four hits with six strikeouts in five innings of work.
• Senior Sebastian Pannuto (New Paltz, NY) went 1-for-2 with an RBI for SUNY Poly.
• Freshman Matthew Gamache (Denalson, NY) suffered the loss for the Wildcats, giving up seven runs on three hits with four walks.
• RIC scored all it would need in the top of the first when they pushed across eight runs, including a two-run double from junior center fielder Josh Silva (Seekonk, MA), for the 8-0 advantage.
• The Anchormen used a two-run triple from Walsh as part of a four run fourth inning en route to the 19-1 victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will take on Utica on Thursday, March 14 (9 a.m.) at the RussMatt Invitational.