Kissimmee, Fla.--The Rhode Island College baseball team suffered their first loss of the 2019 season, dropping a 12-5 decision against No. 15 Webster at the 2019 RussMatt Invitational on Monday morning.
No. 15 Webster 12, Rhode Island College 5
Rhode Island College (3-1)
No. 15 Webster (7-2)
• Webster junior designated hitter A.J. Smith (DuQuoin, IL) was 2-for-3 with three runs scored and five RBI in the victory.
• RIC struck in the top of the second when they capitalized on an RBI groundout from junior right fielder Mike Webb (Pawtucket, RI) and pair of Webster errors to take the early 2-0 advantage.
• Webster got on the board in the bottom of the second on a sacrifice fly from senior second baseman Danny Strohm (St. Louis, MO).
• The Anchormen extended their lead in the top pf the third when junior catcher Sam Franco (Cranston, RI) doubled and came around to score on a sacrifice fly by senior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI) to make the score 3-1.
• Webster knotted the game with a pair of runs in the bottom of the fourth, which included a sacrifice fly from junior left fielder Adam Lovell (Lafayette, IN), to put the score at 3-3.
• Webster took its first lead of the game in the bottom of the fifth when a sacrifice fly from sophomore shortstop Matt Staker (El Cajon, CA) gave the Gorloks a 4-3 advantage.
• The Anchormen responded in the top of the sixth when an RBI single from Silva scored Webb to knot the game at 4-4.
• Webster erupted for six runs in the bottom of the sixth, paced by a grand slam from Smith for the 10-4 lead.
• The Gorloks tacked on a run in the seventh and another in the eighth to push the lead to 12-4
• RIC capped off its scoring for the game in the top of the ninth on an RBI groundout from senior pinch hitter Tyler Shemick (Foster, RI).
• Senior pitcher Sam Alkins (West Greenwich, RI) suffered the loss (0-1) in a relief effort.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will take on SUNY Poly Wednesday, March 13 (1:30 p.m.).