Auburndale, Fla.--The Rhode Island College baseball team swept a doubleheader against Marymount (Va.) at the 2019 RussMatt Invitational on Sunday. The Anchormen posted a 6-2 victory in the opener and completed the sweep with a 14-0 win in the nightcap.
Rhode Island College 6, Marymount 2
Rhode Island College 14, Marymount 0
HOW IT HAPPENED - GAME ONE
• RIC jumped out to the early, 1-0, lead on an RBI double from freshman designated hitter Stephen Andrews (Lincoln, RI).
• Marymount answered in the top of the fourth when a solo home run from senior shortstop Connor Hall (Alexandria, VA) knotted the game at 1-1.
• RIC regained the lead in the bottom of the fourth when junior shortstop Rommy Morel (Providence, RI) was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to put the Anchormen up, 2-1. RIC then broke the game open when a three-run double from junior catcher Nick Feola (North Providence, RI) gave the Anchormen the 5-1 lead. RIC capped off the scoring for the inning on an RBI single from junior right fielder Mike Webb (Pawtucket, RI) for the 6-1 advantage.
• Marymount cut into the lead on an RBI double from senior third baseman Austin Sizemore (Chesterfield, VA), but the Anchormen held on for the 6-2 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS - GAME ONE
• Junior starter Tyler Shemick (Foster, RI) picked up the complete-game victory for RIC, allowing two runs on four hits to go along with four strikeouts in seven innings of work.
• Senior Ryan Scheufele (Marriottsville, MD) took the loss for Marymount, allowing six runs on six hits with five strikeouts over four innings.
• Feola was 1-for-3 with a run scored and three RBI for RIC, while senior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI) was 1-for-2 with a pair of runs scored.
HOW IT HAPPENED - GAME TWO
• The game was scoreless through the first three innings before a two-run single from Morel and a two-run double by junior Sam Banks (Portsmouth, RI) gave RIC the 4-0 advantage in the bottom of the fourth.
• The Anchormen erupted for 10 runs in the top of the fifth, which included a two-run double from Banks and a two-run double by junior second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI), to extend the lead to 14-0.
BY THE NUMBERS - GAME TWO
• Vigeant went 3-for-3 with a run scored and three RBI, while Morel was 3-for-5 with a run scored and two RBI.
• Freshman Connor Davey (Cheshire, CT) earned the win in his collegiate debut for RIC, allowing just one hit and striking out nine in six innings of work
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will take on Webster on Monday, March 11 (10 a.m.) at the RussMatt Invitational.