Auburndale, Fla.--Freshman Stephen Andrews (Lincoln, RI) belted a pinch-hit walk-off three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth inning to lift the Rhode Island College baseball team to a thrilling, 4-2, victory against Westfield State at the 2019 RussMatt Invitational on Saturday morning.
Rhode Island College 4, Westfield State 2
Rhode Island College (1-0)
Westfield State (1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Westfield State got on the board first after an RBI groundout from senior left fielder Anthony Crowley (Bellingham, MA) made the score 1-0 in the top of the first.
• RIC answered in the bottom of the fourth when an RBI single from junior third baseman Ray Zincone (West Warwick, RI) plated junior second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) to knot the game at 1-1.
• Westfield State regained the lead in the top of the sixth when a sacrifice fly from Crowley staked the Owls to the 2-1 advantage.
• The Anchormen trailed by a run heading into the bottom of the ninth when Zincone and junior shortstop Rommy Morel (Providence, RI) were each hit by a pitch. A sacrifice bunt from junior catcher Sam Franco (Cranston, RI) advanced the runners and set the stage for Andrews. The rookie then belted a three-run home run in his first collegiate at-bat to give RIC the thrilling, 4-2, victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Vigeant went 2-for-3 with a run scored for RIC, while Franco was also 2-for-3 in the win for the Anchormen.
• Sophomore right fielder Nick Martin (Shrewsbury, MA) was 3-for-4 with a run scored in the loss for Westfield State.
• Junior left hander Jake Rockefeller (Cumberland, RI) picked up the win on the mound for RIC, throwing 3.1 innings of scoreless relief and allowing just two hits to go along with six strikeouts.
• Sophomore Troy Saulnier (Auburn, MA) took the loss for Westfield State, allowing three runs on one hit in .1 innings of relief.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will take on Marymount (Va.) in a doubleheader on Sunday, March 10 (9:30 AM).