Keene, N.H.--Senior designated hitter Frank Pettinato (Cranston, RI) went 3-for-7 with one run scored and two RBI to help the Rhode Island College baseball team to split a Little East Conference doubleheader at Keene State on Saturday afternoon. RIC posted an 8-4 win in the opener with Keene State salvaging the split with a 4-2 victory in the nightcap.
Game One: Rhode Island College 8, Keene State 4
Game Two: Keene State 4, Rhode Island College 2
(Rhode Island College 14-9, 4-2 LEC)
(Keene State 12-10, 3-3 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
• RIC jumped out to the early 3-0 lead in the top of the first after a two-run double from Pettinato and an RBI groundout from senior catcher Tyler Rains (North Kingstown, RI).
• The Anchormen extended their lead to 5-0 in the top of the fifth on a two-run double from senior right fielder Shaun Vigeant (Coventry, RI).
• RIC then plated three more in the top of the seventh, which included back-to-back singles from sophomore left fielder Mike Webb (Pawtucket, RI) and sophomore shortstop Romy Morel (Providence, RI), for the 8-0 advantage.
• Keene State finally got on the board in the bottom of the eighth when they pushed across three runs, highlighted by a two-run double from junior right fielder Connor Longley (Foxboro, MA), to cut the lead to 8-3.
• The host Owls added another run in the bottom of the ninth, but it wouldn't be enough as RIC held on for the 8-4 victory.
• Pettinato was 2-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI, while junior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI) went 2-for-4 with three runs scored.
• Junior left fielder Devin Springfield (Jaffrey, NH) went 3-for-4 with one run in the setback for Keene State.
• Senior starter Daniel Greaves (Warwick, RI) picked up his third win of the season on the mound for RIC, giving up four runs on 10 hits to go along with four strikeouts in the complete-game victory.
• Sophomore Andrew Houde (Springfield, NH) took the loss for Keene State, allowing eight runs on nine hits with two strikeouts in 6.1 innings of work.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
• Keene State took the early 1-0 lead with an RBI single by sophomore first baseman Connor Walsh (Goffstown, NH).
• RIC answered in the top of the third on an RBI single from sophomore second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI).
• The Anchormen grabbed a 2-1 lead in the top of the fourth when sophomore third baseman Ray Zincone (West Warwick, RI) led off with a double and came around to score on a wild pitch.
• The Owls knotted the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the fifth when they scored an unearned run after a double from Springfield.
• Keene State scored twice in the bottom of the seventh as a two-run triple from Springfield helped propel the Owls to the 4-2 victory.
• Nate Vigeant was 2-for-4 with an RBI in the loss for RIC.
• Springfield went 2-for-4 with one run scored and two RBI in the win for the hosts.
• Junior Brandon Heath (Charleston, NH) picked up the win for Keene State, throwing 2.1 innings of scoreless relief.
• Senior Andrew Veiga (Lincoln, RI) took the loss for RIC, allowing four runs, only one of which was earned, on seven hits and three strikeouts in seven innings of work.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at home against UMass Dartmouth on Tuesday, April 17 (3:30 p.m.).