Providence, R.I.—Sophomore left fielder Josh Silva (Seekonk, MA) notched three hits and scored a pair of runs to lead the Rhode Island College baseball team to an impressive, 6-1, victory over Anna Maria at Pontarelli Field on Thursday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 6, Anna Maria 1
(Rhode Island College 8-6)
(Anna Maria 9-11)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC took the lead in the bottom of the first when Silva led off with a single. Silva stole second base, stole third base and scored on a dropped third strike to put the Anchormen up, 1-0.
• RIC upped the lead to 3-0 with a pair of runs in the bottom of the third. Silva scored on a sacrifice fly from senior centerfielder Brad Douglas (South Kingstown, RI) and the Anchormen went up, 3-0, when sophomore shortstop Romy Morel (Providence, RI) reached on a single and scored on an RBI single from senior designated hitter Frank Pettinato (Cranston, RI).
• Silva put the Anchormen up, 4-0, in the bottom of the fourth when he tallied his third hit of the game, an RBI single to plate sophomore third baseman Ray Zincone (West Warwick, RI).
• RIC added a pair of insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth, highlighted by an RBI single from Douglas for the 6-0 advantage.
• Anna Maria was able to get on the board in the top of the ninth when freshman shortstop Jake Crevier (Ware, MA) led off on a walk and scored on a wild pitch, but that was all they could push across the plate as RIC held on for the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Anna Maria scored one run on seven hits with one RIC error.
• The Anchormen scored six runs on 11 hits and two Anna Maria errors.
• Silva was 3-for-5 with two runs scored and an RBI, while Morel went 2-for-3 with a pair of runs scored in the win for RIC.
• Zincone and Pettinato each had a pair of hits in the win for the Anchormen.
• Freshman catcher Noah Holland (Sandwich, MA) went 1-for-4 with a double in the loss for Anna Maria.
• Senior Myles Levy (Cranston, RI) picked up the win for RIC, throwing seven scoreless innings with five hits and five strikeouts.
• Freshman Andrew Rodrigues (East Providence, RI) suffered the loss for Anna Maria, giving up four runs on eight hits with three strikeouts in four innings of work.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will open Little East Conference play with a doubleheader at home vs. Southern Maine on Saturday, March 31 (noon).