RECREATION & INTRAMURALS
For More Information Contact:
Jerry Shellard - 401-456-8136
For More Information Contact:
For More Information Contact:
For More Information Contact
2018-19 Fitness Center Certification
All students interested in using the newly renovated Recreation Center this spring please note:
All students must sign an online Cardiovascular/Weight Training Waiver before using the new Cardiovascular or Weight Training Centers at the newly renovated Recreation Center. Students under 18 years of age must also have a parent or guardian sign the waiver.
To access the waiver, please log into RIConnect, then navigate to ‘RIC Custom Applications’ -> ‘RIC Recreation Center’ and then select the ‘Rec Center Weight Room Waiver’ link. Once you access this page, you will have the opportunity to read the waiver, view the orientation video, and review the training policies prior to signing the waiver.
For more information, contact the Recreation Center at 401-456-8400.
Officially opened and dedicated during the 1989 fall semester, the Recreation Center is a tangible reflection of the College’s commitment to provide an exciting on-campus environment that is conducive to the total growth and development of its students, faculty, and staff and assists in their total wellness. The mission of the Recreation Center is to provide RIC students, College community, alumni, and interested persons from the community-at-large with high-quality and wholesome recreational programs and services.
Emphasis is on open recreation, personal fitness, health, and wellness, regardless of age, gender, race, or skill level. Safety, security, cleanliness, and responsiveness to individual needs are paramount. The Center’s programs are geared to develop an appreciation for the importance of the use of one's leisure time. The approach is aimed at improving one’s physical, emotional, intellectual, and social well-being.
A $12 million renovation project was completed in August, 2012, which provides a state of the art facility for Rhode Island College student-athletes and students alike to utilize.
August 25, 2018 - December 21, 2018 Building Hours
Monday - Thursday 6:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Friday 6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Sunday 4:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Individual areas within the Recreational Center have different operational schedules, please check below for the specific hours.
Activities will cease 30 minutes prior to the closing time and the building will be shut down promptly at the designated time.
*For exceptions to this schedule, refer to Facility Closures Statement.
• Convenient 100-Vehicle Parking Lot
• Conversation / Sitting / Reading Areas in Lobby
Special accommodations for the disabled may be made possible if requested 72 hours in advance.
Field House (35,000 sq. ft.):
• 5-Lane, One-Tenth Mile Indoor Track
• 3 Multiple Playing Courts for Basketball, Volleyball, and Tennis
• Separate Men’s and Women’s Lockers with Showers
• Cardiovascular/Weight Training Area
Sandra E. Surdut Swimming Pool:
• (10,000 sq. ft.) 5-Lane, 25-Yard "L" Shaped Indoor Heated Swimming Pool
• Street parking is allowed across the street from the Recreation Center and in lot E2. Parking in lot E1 is reserved for Faculty and Staff and lot E3 is reserved for students.
The Recreation Center or a portion thereof may be closed or reservations cancelled if conditions warrant such action (i.e. scheduled maintenance, emergency repairs, RIC Special Events, insufficient program participation/registration, interruption of utility services, dangerous conditions, etc.) In addition, scheduled hours, days of operation and temperature of the building may also be altered during semester breaks, official state holidays and other periods of time between semesters at the college, as pre-determined by availability of staff and budget. Every effort will be made to provide members with advance notification of such closings and/or alterations to standard operating procedures.
The Recreation Center will be closed on the following days:
Saturday & Sunday September 1st and 2nd CLOSED
Labor Day September 3rd OPEN 4 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Homecoming September 29th CLOSED
Sunday October 7th CLOSED
Columbus Day October 8th OPEN 4 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Sunday November 11th CLOSED
Veterans Day November 12th 4 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Wednesday November 21st CLOSING at 4 p.m.
Thanksgiving Recess November 22nd – 24th CLOSED
1) To be eligible for an individual membership at the Recreation Center, applicants (other than Rhode Island College students) must be 18 years of age or older.
2) Parents/guardian of children participating in a program or activity must remain in the Recreation Center at all times.
3) Only current members of the Recreation Center, at least 18 years of age, or registered RIC students are permitted to use the Cardiovascular and Weight Training Centers.
4) Members have a five-day period in which to cancel their membership. A 100% refund of the membership is granted if cancelled during this period. Refunds will not be given after this period.
5) No locks may remain on a locker overnight. Locks will be cut and the contents of the locker will be impounded. The contents of the locker will be held for 5 business days before being discarded.
6) Bicycles, skateboards, rollerblades and pets are not allowed in the Center. (Only guide/aid animals accompanying impaired individuals may enter the Recreation Center.)
7) Use of the Rhode Island College Recreation Center is for recreational purposes only…. PRIVATE PROFESSIONAL INSTRUCTION IS PROHIBITED.
8) Throwing or kicking of any object or any activity that is determined to be hazardous to other patrons is not permitted. Failure to comply will result in a suspension of membership.
9) Please refer to the Policy and Procedure on the College’s website for the remainder of the rules governing the facility.
10) A $10.00 fee will charged to replace a lost membership card
11) Please visit the website at www.goanchormen.com for a complete list of programs